Held every 3 years, the Leadership Institute is open to all Board Members, management, and staff of New York State Soil & Water Conservation Districts, NYS Soil & Water Conservation Committee (NYS SWCC), Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) and New York Association of Conservation Districts (NYACD). The event is organized by a committee of the previous event’s attendees. To attend the event, applicants must complete an online application and recommendation form.
The next Leadership Institute will be held in 2026.
The typical Institute schedule includes group sessions instructed by professional facilitators, free time, and meals.
Who Should Attend?
- New managers or leaders
- Anyone with current or anticipated leadership responsibilities
- Technical staff with program management roles
- Conservation professionals seeking new roles and responsibilities
- Individuals who are expected to lead and influence others in the course of their work
- Any conservation professional interested in personal development and improving their leadership skills
Program Goals for Participants
- Develop personal definition of leadership
- Conduct a self-assessment to define current and desired leadership skills
- Set 3-, 6-, and 12-month action goals for skill development
- Practice communication (listening and speaking) skills
- Practice individual and group problem-solving skills
- Develop and practice delivering brief marketing, educational, and ‘sales’ presentations
- Practice peer coaching to develop skills
- List desired skills for future development
- Build collegial relationships